MMA fighting

UFC bantamweight Irwin Rivera released after attempted murder charges

Irwin Rivera has been released from custody after being granted parole by a Florida judge following the UFC bantamweight arrest in January.

Rivera was released Tuesday afternoon in Florida following a Monday court ruling that saw a judge approve the fighter’s not guilty plea on grounds of insanity. MMA Fighting has confirmed release with the Palm Beach Sheriff’s Office following an initial report from ESPN Deportes.

Rivera had been held behind bars since January on two counts of attempted murder after experiencing what the fighter’s brother called a “complete break-up” earlier this year following an incident in which Rivera was charged with ‘having repeatedly stabbed his two sisters.

Rivera was arrested on the afternoon of January 7 in Palm Beach County, Florida. The fighter’s two sisters – Lezlye and Kelly – told police Rivera allegedly attacked them with a brass knuckle and stabbed them repeatedly while they were sleeping. According to police, following a four-hour manhunt, Rivera was located and told authorities he believed he had killed his two sisters and had done so because “that was his purpose. And that a higher power had “told him to do it.” Rivera’s sisters were each found with multiple stab wounds to the body and police said Rivera’s younger sister also suffered a collapsed lung.

Both siblings ultimately survived their injuries and defended Rivera in the early stages after the incident, claiming the alleged attack was not in line with the Mexican-born bantamweight, and the two even testified on behalf of de Rivera during the case.

According to the ESPN report, Rivera was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and suffered an “acute episode of psychosis” on the day of the alleged attack. Doctors involved in the case said Rivera’s condition had stabilized and Rivera would be allowed to remain in detention as long as he met certain conditions regarding medication, therapy, living conditions with his family and supervised travel.

A doctor involved in the case also reportedly said Rivera could be allowed to resume his MMA career if all the conditions for his release continue to be met.

The 32-year-old bantamweight last participated in a September 2020 split-decision loss to Andre Ewell at UFC Vegas 11. He was scheduled to return against Ray Rodriguez on March 13 at UFC Vegas 21 before his arrest. Former Titan FC bantamweight champion Rivera holds a 1-2 UFC record with a notable loss to ranked featherweight Giga Chikadze.