LAS VEGAS – MMA Junkie is on the scene reporting live from Friday’s UFC on ESPN 22 fighter weigh-ins, which start at noon ET (9 a.m. PT).
Among those weighing in are former middleweight champion Robert Whittaker (22-5 MMA, 13-3 UFC) and Kelvin Gastelum (17-6 MMA, 11-6 UFC), who meet in the main event. Both fighters put on weight without a problem.
The same couldn’t be said of Zarah Fairn (6-4 MMA, 0-2 UFC), who was trying to break through the bantamweight limit for the first time in his UFC career in a fight against the promotional newcomer. Josiane Nunes (7-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC).
While the fight was moved to a grapple weight of 139 pounds, Fairn weighed 147 pounds, and the fight was abandoned by the Nevada Athletic Commission.
Additionally, Tracy Cortez (8-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) broke the untitled women’s flyweight limit by half a pound from her fight with Justine Kish (7-3 MMA, 3-3 UFC) and was fined 20 percent for her purse.
Full UFC weigh-in results on ESPN 22 include:
MAIN CARD (ESPN, ESPN +, 10 p.m. ET)
- Robert Whittaker (185.5) vs. Kelvin Gastelum (185)
- Drakkar Klose (156) vs. Jeremy Stephens (156)
- Andrei Arlovski (250.5) vs. Chase Sherman (251)
- Abdul Razak Alhassan (185.5) vs. Jacob Malkoun (185.5)
- Alexander Munoz (155.5) vs. Luis Pena (155)
PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN, ESPN +, 7 p.m. ET)
- Tracy Cortez (126.5)+ against Justine Kish (125.5)
- Juan Espino (257) vs. Alexandr Romanov (264)
- Lupita Godinez (116) vs. Jessica Penne (116)
- Bartosz Fabinski (184.5) vs. Gerald Meerschaert (185.5)
- Austin Hubbard (156) vs. Dakota Bush (155.5)
- Zarah Fairn (147)* against Josiane Nunes (136)
- Anthony Birchak (135.5) vs. Tony Gravely (135.5)
+ Cortez missed the 0.5 pound flyweight limit and was fined 20% from his purse
* Fairn was 8 pounds over the limit for the 139 pound catch weight contest, and the fight was called off