In a shocking turn of events, former UFC middleweight Chris Weidman suffered the same injury as his two-time opponent Anderson Silva when he broke his leg on a kick verified by Uriah Hall at the UFC 261.
Weidman’s foot curled horribly around Hall’s shin, and he collapsed onto the mat, planting on his right foot. The former champ twisted in pain as the fight was immediately called off just 17 seconds from the pay-per-view fight at Vystar Veteran’s Memorial Arena in Jacksonville, Fla.
The audience sat in shock, some behind the UFC commentary booth crying as Weidman, whose check broke Silva’s leg more than seven years ago in their rematch at the UFC 168, was put on a stretcher and pulled out of the octagon.
Here is how the fighters reacted at the end of the fight.
Holy shit! What a crazy world we live in. You couldn’t write it.
– michael (@bisping) April 25, 2021
Omg omg omg this leg just got Silva’d! So nasty I can’t even look! # ufc261
– Leah Letson UFC (@LeahNidasMMA) April 25, 2021
Fucking guy ♂️ ♂️ ♂️
– GILBERT BURNS DURINHO (@GilbertDurinho) April 25, 2021
Shit right after I said Jimmy Crute’s leg was crazy shit # UFC261 and to think Weidman was on the other side of this year
– Brad Tavares (@BradTavares) April 25, 2021
I have no words … I hope the leg can heal 100%. Thin.
– Aljamain Sterling (@funkmasterMMA) April 25, 2021
Too bad for Chris, I hope he will recover quickly.# ufc261
– Francis Ngannou (@francis_ngannou) April 25, 2021
– Julia Avila (@RagingPandaMMA) April 25, 2021
I’m not going to sleep well tonight
– Nick Newell (@NotoriousNewell) April 25, 2021
I have seen serious injuries in this sport. @chrisweidman @ufc the injury was the worst I have ever seen. See him on the stretcher screaming in pain … I ruptured a testicle and had emergency surgery. I know the pain, I think the doctors need morphine on hand for these few moments # ufc261
– Devin Powell (@DevinPowellMMA) April 25, 2021
You all remember when Jose also used to run through the cage and kick his opponents … YEAH I’m glad he stopped the game changed and people sit in those kicks that could seriously injure the leg! # UFC261
– Derek Brunson (@DerekBrunson) April 25, 2021
Those last two fights are the reason I don’t pay much attention to locker room fights when warming up. I want this stuff out of sight and out of mind before I take the walk. # ufc261
– Michael Chiesa (@ MikeMav22) April 25, 2021
So strange that there have only been 3 broken legs in UFC history and Weidman was part of 2
– Funky (@Benaskren) April 25, 2021
Glad not to fight tonight
– Sean O’Malley (@SugaSeanMMA) April 25, 2021