MMA fighting

Hasim Rahman Jr. reacts to Jake Paul’s fight cancellation: “How’s the fight going against me when they canceled the event?”

Hasim Rahman Jr. has given his first response to the cancellation of his scheduled fight with Jake Paul.

On Saturday, Paul’s management team, Most Valuabale Promotions, released a statement alleging that Rahman was not going to be able to make contract weight for the fight, and that Rahman’s assurances to do so “were not not done in good faith”.

Hours later, Rahman took to social media to respond to the fight — and the entire event that was scheduled for next Saturday at Madison Square Garden — being canceled.

“Why am I weighing two and three weeks before the fight? I didn’t even have the chance to reach the balance on August 5th, as the contract indicated. How did the fight go on me when THEY canceled the event,” Rahman asked boxing journalist Dan Rafael on Twitter.

Paul’s promotion company, Most Valuable Promotions, said in its statement that the fight was initially agreed to at 200 pounds and that earlier in the week the New York State Athletic Commission said the fight was to be penalized at 205 pounds had lost “less than a pound”. since a first weigh-in earlier this month where Rahman weighed in at 216 pounds.

MVP also alleges that Rahman’s camp indicated that he “plans to weigh 215 pounds from the fight – a sentiment echoed by Paul in a video on social networks – which was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

MMA Fighting’s Mike Heck and Alexander K. Lee react to the cancellation, which you can watch below, and on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify and Stitcher.