Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jake Ellenberger vs. Martin Kampmann - TUF Live Finale

Jake Ellenberger vs. Martin Kampmann - TUF Live Finale

A welterweight fight likely to cue up the next title contender is set for The Ultimate Fighter Live Finale.

UFC officials today announced Jake Ellenberger (27-5 MMA, 6-1 UFC) vs. Martin Kampmann (19-5 MMA, 10-4 UFC) to headline the event, which takes place June 1 in Las Vegas and airs live on FX and FUEL TV.

The fight will be contested over five rounds.

Ellenberger and Kampmann meet after impressive performances in their most recent outings. Ellenberger outpointed onetime lightweight title challenger Diego Sanchez at "UFC on FUEL 1: Sanchez vs. Ellenberger" while Kampmann pulled out a third-round submission for Thiago Alves at UFC on FX 2.

Unbeaten in his past six fights, Ellenberger made a great argument for a shot at interim welterweight champion Carlos Condit, who outpointed him three years ago in his UFC debut. While he said he'd welcome that opportunity, he said he'd prefer to stay busy in the event that Condit chose to wait for injured champ Georges St-Pierre, who may return later this year.

"I'd like to stay active," he said. "Maybe late spring, early summer. I don't choose who I fight, so it's up to Dana and the UFC, and I'm always ready."

Kampmann is a new addition to the title picture, though he has long been considered among the most talented welterweights in the division. By finishing Alves and outpointing Rick Story in his previous outing, the Danish fighter is experiencing a resurgence in his career after setbacks against Paul Daley, Jake Shields and Diego Sanchez.

The Ultimate Fighter Live Finale is also features the tournament finale of the current season of the "The Ultimate Fighter Live" reality series.
    Awesome matchup, I'm a fan of both guys. They both had very close fights with Condit, so I think this is a reasonable #1 contender fight.

I also am a fan of both guys, with that said, I like Ellenberger in this one.

DUde has Martin gone through a gauntlet of fighters of what?!

I like them both, I like Kampmann better then Ellenberger, but I think Ellenberger has the edge in this fight.
    "Fuck being a hero. I prefer being a ninja." - Killakev

Jake finishes in the second round tko
    "You are not your job...you are not how much money you have in the bank...not the car you drive...not the contents of your wallet. You are not your fucking khakis. We are the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world."
    -Tyler Durden

Super Moderator
    this is Martin's big chance to land a title shot... I think they'll give him the next shot at the title if he wins.
    "i always drink beer or some kind of alcohol. and when i do, i sometimes prefer dos equis amber"

~above all else, i am man~

-i never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. a small bird will fall frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself-

"I don't go there to survive. I go there to hunt..."
    -Georges St. Pierre

MArtin should fend off takedowns he's got the better stand up IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondsy View Post
    Jake finishes in the second round tko
    I do believe that Bonds is correct here.

Quote Originally Posted by Juanito View Post
    MArtin should fend off takedowns he's got the better stand up IMO.
    I recall Kampmann was a Danish kickboxing champion, but I can't find anything online to back that up. Maybe not national champ, just champ of a tournament?

Anyways, I agree.
    "Fuck being a hero. I prefer being a ninja." - Killakev

Super Moderator
    ellenburger has been very sharp recently... i dont know if youve noticed,,, but some of his standup strategies mimick some of what GSP does.
    "i always drink beer or some kind of alcohol. and when i do, i sometimes prefer dos equis amber"

~above all else, i am man~

-i never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. a small bird will fall frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself-

"I don't go there to survive. I go there to hunt..."
    -Georges St. Pierre